Common Warning Signs of Electrical Problems in Your Home

While electrical problems are not always serious, there are many warning signs you can look out for in your home to notify you that there may be a problem so you can nip it in the bud. Always be sure to investigate by either checking on your electric system and wiring yourself or by hiring a professional. It is always better to be proactive and take care of a problem right away instead of ignoring it and allowing it to get worse or cause serious damage to your home. Here are some of the most common warning signs of electrical problems in your home.

Electrical ProblemsThe most noticeable sign that you may have an electric problem is if your lights begin to dim or flicker. While this may happen due to a storm, it is more of a concern if this is an ongoing dimming or flickering. Notice if this happens when a large appliance turns on such as the refrigerator or air conditioner. If it happens when it’s windy outside, this could also be an indication that there is a wiring dilemma in your house or even on the outside of your home that needs to be addressed.

Another thing to watch out for is tripped circuit breakers. When the circuit is overloaded, breakers will trip frequently. This happens when, for example, you have a lamp and a hairdryer plugged into the same outlet at once. This could end up causing more electricity to run through the outlet than intended. If you see that your breaker is tripping, try to reset it. If you still have a problem, do not hesitate to call an electrician so that he or she can check it out.

If you see that you do not have GFCIs, this is a sign that your electric wiring is not properly protected. These are essential in rooms such as the kitchen or bathroom, which use a lot of water. If you don’t have these installed, you may put yourself and your family at risk of being electrocuted. Once you notice a lack of GFCIs, be sure to hire an electrician to install them. This is a quick and simple job that can make an enormous difference and will significantly improve your safety.

Another warning sign to be aware of is hot outlet faceplates. Heat is caused by some form of resistance, which could be a result of improperly sized wiring, over use of one outlet, or a loose electrical connection.If you feel too much heat being emanated from the faceplate, take care of the problem right away with a hired professional. Just visit to hire electricians and book online.


All of these warning signs are things to be on the lookout for in your home. While these may seem like small, minor electrical problems, if left unattended they will likely worsen and may even pose a threat to your home’s overall safety and security. For peace of mind and a well maintained home, be sure to hire a professional electrician from a company like Fraser Electric to inspect your concerns and repair any problems present.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *